Thursday, May 10, 2012

Unconditional Love! A Earthly vs Spiritual Perspective!

Unconditional Love is not an emotion or a belief but a wordless revelation of universal truth. It is inexpressibly tender, beautiful, holy and nourishing. Shrillness, rudeness, confusion and anger will devour it. Without this love the heart is frozen and life is cold, bleak and pathetic in comparison. With this love life becomes refreshed and reborn never to die again. John E. Lewis Jr., May, 2012

John Lewis, a ministerial colleague, posted this statement on an alumni group site I belong to. It initiated some lively discussion of opinions, experiences and perpectives that were very inspiring and enlightening.

So much so, that I was moved to share some of my comments with you today.



Some of the members were commenting on whether or not Unconditional Love was possible for humans, based on where we are now in terms of our current levels of spirituality, limited awareness and evolutionary status.

Some said, they didn’t feel they could really express Unconditional Love to others who were not members of their circle of loved ones because it required a certain level of acceptance that they couldn’t extend to those who weren’t loved ones.

At last count, there were over 75 comments; and the perspectives covered the spectrum from traditional to the esoteric; from the general to the personal. Here’s what I offered for their, and your consideration:
I just wonder if the differences we see in what we call 'Unconditional Love' may be in our understanding of what love is...and confused with what we define 'love' to be. In my very humble opinion, I think they’re two different things.

Perhaps part of the problem is that we confuse the meanings of 'love' and 'Love'. One is physical, and one is spiritual.

In terms of Spirit, and our expressions of it, I believe 'Unconditional Love' is possible and that we embrace/express it…we are it.

But, in the terms of 'love' on the physical plane, we can't be unconditional because it requires some emotional attachment, interpretation or connection. In my opinion, Unconditional Love is in the same category as forgiveness…maybe they’re two sides of the same coin. Unconditional Love is expressing Spirit; it’s ‘without attachment’, while love is expressing emotion and ‘infers attachment’.

It's something you do or give without attachment to the outcome, circumstances or situation. It's merely your allowance for the outcome, circumstance or situation to 'be', whatever form that ‘being’ shows up.

You love someone that's special to you...there's a feeling and an expectation attached to it. But, Unconditional Love can be given to someone you don't know at all, and yet you support them in their life process and experience. Like letting someone be as dysfunctional as they want to be without trying to ‘fix’ them. You may choose to distance yourself from the situation temporarily or permanently. You simply bless them and their situation and allow it to be…detached from the drama and emotion.

For instance, I had a BIG opportunity to express Unconditional Love when it came to dealing with the man who murdered my son. I had the option to hate him, give him power over my life and live with that rage forever. But, I decided early on that he’d already exerted enough power and influence over my life and I was going to put a stop to it immediately, detach from it and live the happy life I had before he made the decision to kill my son.

I didn’t know his story. I didn’t know what events and experiences drove him to become such a violent, dangerous person. I didn’t know him before I saw him in court during those trials. And while I hated what he’d done. I didn’t want to be energetically connected to him any longer than I had to.

I realized that this was my A-ha life lesson about Unconditional Love. Through that experience, I could learn the lesson and live, or avoid the lesson and spend the rest of my life in resistance and pain. In that moment, Unconditional Llove meant loving myself enough to keep living, and allowing him to live his own life, detached from mine. After all, he was a child of Spirit too, whether I liked it our not.

I didn’t know what happened to make him the way he was; I didn’t know why he chose to kill my son. I didn’t know what events or agreements may have taken place on the spiritual plane between him and my son before they came into physical life that set the wheels in motion to bring them together at that point in time.

But, I had to deal with it. I know we all make agreements and plans before we incarnate to ensure we have the experiences we come here to have and serve our life's purpose. Sometimes the manifestation of those agreements looks and/or feels ‘bad’ when we experience them in this space and time. But, who am I to judge their real meanings…I’m only dealing with partial information.

When Spirit says we shouldn’t judge or try to control people and situations, I think that’s the reason why; and that’s also why and when we’re supposed to practice Unconditional Love.

Unconditional Love is not the same love we have for those we ‘love’, but a spiritual practice of allowing each spirit to live and express its life as is appropriate for their path and life's purpose.♥

Much Love and Light to You!

No comments:

Post a Comment